Human Library – Mental Health Awareness Week 2017Articles . Blog
It’s extremely important to talk about mental health because one in four of us will experience some kind of mental health issue throughout our lifetime. Mental Health Awareness Week is an opportunity to promote awareness and to show that people like me – I have bipolar disorder and have had for since I was 24 years old, I’m now 60 – actually haven’t got horns growing out their head you could pass me by in the street and not know that I can be quite unwell at times, so we are we are just ordinary members of the public with a mental health condition. We’re here today hosting what’s called the Human Library. It’s based on the idea of a library but instead of borrowing a book you can borrow a person who will tell their story. The person tells the story and then you spend another 15 minutes asking questions or chatting with the person. The title of my Human Library story is “The power of love – a carer’s trauma” and what it means to me – well you see I believe that a lot of carers are not really talking about what they go through caring for loved ones and I believe carers should be heard. I also believe carers should actually come out there and talk about what the experiences are in terms of accessing support and their caring role. For me, it’s a sort of talking therapy. If people are going through stuff and they’re heard, they’re able to share their story so other people going through things will know they are not alone. It’s so important that people are aware of various forms of mental illness, and I my colleagues here today will be talking about various disorders that they have been affected by like throughout their lives. A Human Library is a way of communicating – it helps people communicate and strengthen the community and really challenge stereotypes that people might have. So what we’re really trying to do is stimulate the conversations, break the stereotypes and suggest to people that there is support just by talking to each other. Oh
Written by Valentin Lakin
- Scientists Can Implant Fake Memories in the Brain, Here’s How
- BTS – 5.STIGMA (Eng/Greek subs)
- Do you suffer from the dollar store stigma?
- Building Muscle Vs Building Strength – What’s the Difference?
- America’s Biggest Issues: Welfare
- Delivering world-class healthcare — and hope
- Stigma Rotary Thorn Review / Bericht (Deutsch / (Englisch Untertitel/English Subtitle)
- Starbucks Stigma: White Liberals Put Batteries in Backs of Black Left
- Living with HIV: Frank Discusses Stigma and HIV
- 6 Core Strength Exercises I Trainer of the Month Club | Well+Good